Besides the sounds we hear and the air we breathe/feel, every other thing in the world is visually represented. From the people around us to our pets, the trees to inanimate objects the firmaments to the mountains, the world is full of images.
However, graphics go beyond the natural images that we see day-to-day. Business owners use images to promote their businesses, brands use images to increase awareness & exposure, graphic is used as a teaching aid when learning.
While nature creates its own imagery, humans also create images via technology in a process known as graphic design. This is an introduction to graphic design. In this graphic design 101 guide, you can learn what is graphic designing and who is a graphic designer?
Graphic design encompasses a lot of things from logos, posters, signage, album cover, magazine cover, and so on. Top brands use images to visualize their brands. For instance, anywhere you see the three stripes (which represent the past, present, and future) Adidas pops into your head. And if Apple came to mind, you likely imagined an apple with a bite taken on the top left corner.
In education, graphics is one of the most engaging forms of teaching. On Instagram, you will find millions of creative images – a world where people share their experiences via graphics. On YouTube, brands engage with their target audience using videos. We have taken time to give different illustrations because graphic design is extremely versatile – it goes beyond combining text and images.
WHAT IS GRAPHIC DESIGN?
Graphic design is the art or profession that focuses on communicating a message through visuals. The message is a combination of words, images, and ideas with the intent that it conveys information to an audience. The message could also be information, an initiation to sell a product/service or a call to action that can invoke thoughts and meaningful conversation.
In graphic designing, the project must have a unique message that will command the desired result. Graphic design is also a form of art and expression. It shapes our imaginations in many different ways, and graphic designers are at the forefront.
WHO IS A GRAPHIC DESIGNER?
A graphic designer is a professional who creates visual content (from text, images, and ideas) to communicate messages to an audience for a specific purpose. Graphic designers use communication, problem-solving, creativity, attentiveness skills to turn an idea into visual storytelling.
They also use various tools and techniques to optimize the user experience and meet their needs. Graphic designers are all around you. They help businesses to promote and sell products, develop a brand identity, increase exposure, and convey a message.
GRAPHIC DESIGN OPPORTUNITIES
The advent of the internet and the increasing popularization of social media have increased the need for graphic designs. Technology has also contributed a great deal. With technology providing ample opportunities for artists/designers to emerge, graphic designers are becoming more in demand.
Brands and companies are looking for professional designers who can help them communicate to their audience. And, this is a huge gap that can never be closed. And as technology keeps advancing, the graphic design industry will just keep expanding. For instance, the advent of cryptocurrency and metaverse has led to a new form of art called NFT.
Whether you are an expert or a novice, you can make money designing graphics. It doesn’t matter whether you are used to paper and pencil, there are tons of tools out there to design on as though you were using paper and pen. Technology has so advanced. Although the ease of sharing information has made this industry more competitive, the industry can still accommodate beginners.
INTERESTING GRAPHIC DESIGN STATISTICS TO BLOW YOUR MIND
- 90% of graphic designers are freelancers.
- In the United States alone, the graphic designers market is worth $13.3 billion.
- Around 61% of marketers claim that visuals play an integral part in their marketing strategy.
- $25.05 per hour is the average pay for graphic designers all over the world.
- 51% of B2B marketers make creating visual assets a priority.
These stats speak volumes about the high demand for designers throughout the economy.
If you are curious about how to join the design community, we have a guide on how to become a graphic designer. It begins with your passion for creativity and then learning how to design graphics for both private and commercial groups.
APPLICATIONS OF GRAPHIC DESIGN
In 2021, the graphic design industry recorded a whopping $43 billion in revenue. Out of this, branding logo accounts for 20%. Look around you, you will find graphic designs everywhere. From the logo on your teacup to that on your smartphone, the wrappers on cars to the painting on the graphic in your Instagram story, there are thousands of new graphic design every single day. While some people are not aware, others are making money creating different graphics.
Graphic design can be applied in various sectors; to name a few includes:
- Brand/company logo
- Corporate identity
- T-shirt and clothing designs
- Packaging (water bottles, appliances)
- Printed materials (books, magazines, flyers, newspapers)
- Online art (blogs, websites, online stores, banners)
- Cards (greeting, birthday)
- Album covers
- NTF (Non-fungible token)
- Film and television titles and graphics
TOP SITES TO MAKE MONEY AS A GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Fiverr, Upwork, are top sites to join as a graphic designer. Click here to read the top sites to make money as a graphic designer.
Why you should consider becoming a graphic designer – Graphic Designing Pros
Many designers have benefited from this business model and guess what, there are ample opportunities for beginners. Graphic design for beginners isn’t rocket science. With proper guidance, anyone can become a designer overnight. First, make sure you consider the pros and the cons to know whether graphics design works for you. If you are looking for reasons to consider graphic designing as a means to make money online, I will give you a few.
- Earn a lot of money: With graphic design, there is no limit to how much you can make. The more your audience, the more money you can make.
- Easy to impress clients: People easily fall in love with artworks when done right.
- Free tools: Most tools used in graphic designing are completely free. You can become a millionaire affiliate without spending a dime on tools. With free tools available, you can keep all your earnings to yourself.
- Flexibility: You can work for multiple clients and in multiple environments. So long as you have access to your smartphone or laptop, you are good to go.
- You don’t need to own a website: With an online portfolio on your social channels, you are good to go.
- Sustainability: Graphic design will continue to be in demand as technology advances. This business model has come to stay, hence, it is sustainable.
Limitations to becoming a freelance graphic designer – Graphic Designing Cons
With this long list of benefits, are there any limitations to being a graphic designer? Yes, there are and they are worth considering before you join the designer bandwagon.
- Some designs can be complicated
- Graphic design isn’t as easy as everybody thinks
- Requests for revising a job is usually without boundaries and can become overwhelming
- There is a lot of competition in this industry
WHAT YOU NEED TO START AS A FREELANCE GRAPHIC DESIGNER
Now that you know a few things about graphic design, what do you need to get started as a graphic designer? If you think graphic design is right for you, here are a few things you will need to get started.
- Decide on which niche you want to specialize in – logo or album cover or videos, etc.
- Learn courses on how to create graphic
- Get a laptop and a smartphone
- Learn how to use graphic design tools
- Create a portfolio for your works
- Get acquainted with affiliate marketing tools – click here
If you choose this career path, you will enjoy a lot of benefits. However, the drawbacks are worth considering. Should you decide to major in graphic design, there are tons of tools, tutorials, and software available at your disposal – most of which are free.
You first need to decide which aspect of graphic design you want to major in before acquiring the needed knowledge.
Check out the blog section to find out more amazing tips on how to succeed as a freelancer.